CBJ will be conducting a historic building survey and inventory in the Juneau Townsite neighborhood beginning in March 2022. The project will involve researching the history of buildings 50 years old and older and photographically documenting the buildings’ exterior architecture. The boundaries comprising the survey will be north side of Second Street to the north side of Sixth Street and the east side of Calhoun Street to the west side of Harris/Gold Street.For the purposes of this project, the neighborhood has been divided into four quadrants.
The survey and inventory will be completed in two phases. Phase I will involve the survey of quadrants one and two; Phase II will be quadrants three and four. Depending on the results of the survey and the will of the neighborhood, a third phase of the project may be pursued. The third phase would be the nomination of the Juneau Townsite neighborhood to the National Register of Historic Places.
The project is being funded through a grant from the State of Alaska Historic Preservation Office. The grant is only for Phase I of the project. Each phase will require additional grant funding.
- Allison Eddins and Beth McKibben serve as staff to the Juneau Historic Resources Advisory Committee (HRAC) and will be the project managers.
- Sean Boily, Historic Preservation Architect and Principal at Northwind
- Shannon Crossley, Staff Intern and Preservation Architect at Northwind
- Anjuli Grantham, Historian and Researcher
Phase I Timeline
- January 2022 – March 2022: Research the history of the buildings and the neighborhood
- March 2022 – June 2022: Continue researching the history; begin documenting and surveying the exterior of buildings
- July 2022: Survey draft to HRAC and public for review
- August 2022: Final draft submitted to SHPO
Public Kick-Off Meeting
Thursday, February 17th
6:30 pm via Zoom
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
Or One tap mobile :
US: +12532158782,,88227069810# or +13462487799,,88227069810#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 253 215 8782 or +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 6833 or +1 301 715 8592 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1 929 436 2866 or 877 853 5257 (Toll Free) or 888 475 4499 (Toll Free) or 833 548 0276 (Toll Free) or 833 548 0282 (Toll Free)
Webinar ID: 882 2706 9810
International numbers available: https://juneau.zoom.us/u/kcniWocKut