Cross Connection Control Program
The Community Development Department has implemented a program to regulate and enforce the maintenance and testing of reduced pressure principal and double check valve backflow prevention devices that protect our public drinking water from harmful contaminants.
- Reduced pressure principal and double check valve backflow prevention devices are inspected only by CBJ certified backflow assembly testers. To qualify as a certified tester, applicants must have a valid certificate of completion in a backflow assembly tester course, pass a CBJ exam with a minimum score of 75%, and pay a $20 fee.
- Tester certificates are valid from the date of issuance through a two-year cycle that ends December 1st of every odd numbered calendar year.
- Testers must pass a recertification exam prior to December 31st of every odd numbered calendar year and pay a $20 fee. Testers renewing after December 31st will pay an additional fee.
- Notices of required testing will be sent out to responsible parties each year.
- Initial notification will be sent the first week of February.
- Follow up notification will be sent the first week of June.
- A Third notification will be sent the first week of September.
- A final notification will be sent the first week of October.
- Notices of Violation will go out in November.
- All devices must pass inspection and reports submitted prior to the November 1st deadline. Reports must be submitted in a calendar year.
- For example, devices tested in 2020, no matter when, must be retested in 2021. A test from November 2020 will not count toward the 2021 testing requirement.
- Email Tests and proof of previous certification to [email protected]
- Test for new backflow tester certification
- Test for renewing backflow testers
Note: Tests are open book and reference portions of CBJ Title 19. CDD staff will contact testers to arrange payment once tests are checked.
Notice: In 2021, CDD will stop selling pre-printed test result books. Please use your own electronic record or download one of the CDD templates below. Results can be printed off or e-mailed to the permit center.