CBJ’s current hazard maps, adopted in 1987 for downtown Juneau, are based on maps created in the 1970s. These low-resolution maps combine landslide and avalanche areas into a single map which identifies moderate and severe hazard areas. The adopted 1987 maps are available here.
In 2018, the CBJ Community Development Department received a grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to update these maps with current scientific analysis, and to evaluate landslide and avalanche areas separately. Tetra Tech Inc. was hired as the contractor. Tetra Tech provided a first draft assessment in May 2021 with new maps. In April 2022 Tetra Tech provided a final assessment with minor revisions to the primary document and maps, and supplemental memorandums. The contract with Tetra Tech has expired. The grant expires on September 30, 2022.
The final assessment includes updated maps, memorandums with background information on areas of special concern, and a memorandum that explains how to interpret the maps. The assessment is for informational purposes at this time.
Final Hazard Assessment
The project area map and final hazard assessment are available at the links below.
- Project Area Map
- *NEW* Final Hazard Assessment April 2022
- 2022 Landslide Maps
- 2022 Avalanche Maps
- Appendix A Tetra Tech’s Limitations on Use of this Document
- Appendix B Landslide Hazard Designation Mapping
- Appendix C Technical Memos
- Technical Memo 1: Landslide Mapping Accuracy and Modelling
- Technical Memo 2: Landslide Designations and Boundaries – Bathe Creek and Highlands
- Technical Memo 3: Mapping Overview Starr Hill Subdivision and Additional Information
- Technical Memo 4: Guide to Avalanche and Landslide Hazard Designations
- Technical Memo 5: Landslide Hazard Designations at Telephone Hill and Gastineau Avenue
- Technical Memo 6: Severe Landslide Hazard Designations at Staff Hill and Gastineau Avenue
- Technical Memo 7: Considerations for Anthropogenic Terrain at Starr Hill and Gastineau Avenue
- Appendix D Avalanche Modelling Parameters and Assumptions
Virtual CBJ Assembly Meeting – September 21, 2021
On September 20, 2021, the CBJ Assembly reviewed the draft Landslide and Avalanche Assessment at a virtual Committee of the Whole work session. The Committee did not take public testimony and did not take a vote. The Assembly generally recommended developing additional technical information and public outreach for the assessment; gathering more information regarding potential impacts on home values and insurance; and presenting regulatory, policy, and mitigation recommendations for adoption at the same time as the final hazard assessment. Assembly minutes are included in the documents section. CDD is currently moving forward with these recommendations.
Virtual Planning Commission Meeting – August 10, 2021
The CBJ Planning Commission held a public regarding adoption of the Downtown Juneau Landslide and Avalanche Assessment, case#AME2021-0008 at a virtual public meeting on August 10, 2021. The Planning Commission’s Notice of Recommendation to the CBJ Assembly is available in the Documents section below, along with the minutes and Community Development Department and contractor presentations.
Neighborhood Meeting – July 21, 2021
The public review draft of the maps was presented to project area property owners, business owners, and other interested parties at virtual meeting on July 21, 2021 with CDD and the contractor.
- Assembly Committee of the Whole 2-14-2022 draft minutes
- Assembly Committee of the Whole 9-20-21 minutes
- Final 8-10-21 Planning Commission minutes
- Planning Commission Notice of Recommendation to the Assembly
- Community Development Department 8-10-21 presentation to the Planning Commission
- Contractor 8-10-21 presentation to the Planning Commission
- 8-10-21 Planning Commission hazard assessment staff report
- 7-21-21 Public Meeting
- Maps prepared by CDD that show the difference between the adopted 1987 hazard maps and the 2022 landslide and avalanche maps.
- Currently Adopted Landslide/Avalanche Maps
- Currently Adopted Landslide/Avalanche Regulations
- Hazard Studies
Project Timeline and Public Meeting Schedule
Wednesday July 21, 2021, 6-8 pm. Public Meeting with CDD, Tetra Tech Inc, and project area residents and property owners to discuss the draft hazard assessment. Meeting details are posted in the section above.
Tuesday August 10, 2021. Planning Commission review and public hearing of draft hazard assessment with Tetra Tech Inc. A postcard mailing will be sent to residents and business owners in the project area.
Monday September 20, 2021, 6 pm. CBJ Assembly Committee of the Whole review session on the hazard assessment. See details under the “Virtual CBJ Assembly Meeting” heading near the top of this web page.
How to Submit Comments
Comments on the draft assessment may be submitted at any time to Teri Camery, Senior Planner, Project Manager at email@example.com.