CBJ’s current hazard maps, adopted in 1987 for downtown Juneau, are based on maps created in the 1970s. These low-resolution maps combine landslide and avalanche areas into a single map which identifies moderate and severe hazard areas. The adopted 1987 maps are available here.
In 2018, the CBJ Community Development Department received a grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to update these maps with current scientific analysis, and to evaluate landslide and avalanche areas separately. Tetra Tech Inc. was hired as the contractor. Tetra Tech provided a first draft assessment in May 2021 with new maps. In April 2022 Tetra Tech provided a final assessment with minor revisions to the primary document and maps, and supplemental memorandums. The contract with Tetra Tech expired on April 30, 2022. The grant expired on September 30, 2022.
The final assessment includes updated maps, memorandums with background information on areas of special concern, and a memorandum that explains how to interpret the maps. The assessment is for informational purposes at this time.
Assembly Regular Meeting Monday December 11, 2023 at 7 p.m.
The Assembly will hold a regular meeting and public hearing on the Landslide and Avalanche Assessment on Monday December 11 at 7 p.m. Public testimony will be taken on the Assessment.
The public may attend the meeting in person or via zoom. Public comments can be submitted at any time to Assembly Members – City and Borough of Juneau.
For meeting materials and zoom information please see Agendas/Minutes | City and Borough of Juneau Alaska Meetings (municodemeetings.com)
For more information contact Teri Camery, Senior Planner, Project Manager, at (907) 586-0753, extension 4129 or [email protected].
Final Hazard Assessment
The project area map and final hazard assessment are available at the links below.
- Project Area Map
- Downtown Juneau Landslide and Avalanche Hazard Assessment April 27, 2022
- 2022 Landslide Maps
- 2022 Avalanche Maps
- Appendix A Tetra Tech’s Limitations on Use of this Document
- Appendix B Landslide Hazard Designation Mapping
- Appendix C Technical Memos
- Technical Memo 1: Landslide Mapping Accuracy and Modelling
- Technical Memo 2: Landslide Designations and Boundaries – Bathe Creek and Highlands
- Technical Memo 3: Mapping Overview Starr Hill Subdivision and Additional Information
- Technical Memo 5: Landslide Hazard Designations at Telephone Hill and Gastineau Avenue
- Technical Memo 6: Severe Landslide Hazard Designations at Staff Hill and Gastineau Avenue
- Technical Memo 7: Considerations for Anthropogenic Terrain at Starr Hill and Gastineau Avenue
- Appendix D Avalanche Modelling Parameters and Assumptions
Virtual CBJ Assembly Meeting – September 21, 2021
On September 20, 2021, the CBJ Assembly reviewed the draft Landslide and Avalanche Assessment at a virtual Committee of the Whole work session. The Committee did not take public testimony and did not take a vote. The Assembly generally recommended developing additional technical information and public outreach for the assessment; gathering more information regarding potential impacts on home values and insurance; and presenting regulatory, policy, and mitigation recommendations for adoption at the same time as the final hazard assessment. Assembly minutes are included in the documents section. CDD is currently moving forward with these recommendations.
Virtual Planning Commission Meeting – August 10, 2021
The CBJ Planning Commission held a public regarding adoption of the Downtown Juneau Landslide and Avalanche Assessment, case#AME2021-0008 at a virtual public meeting on August 10, 2021. The Planning Commission’s Notice of Recommendation to the CBJ Assembly is available in the Documents section below, along with the minutes and Community Development Department and contractor presentations.
Neighborhood Meeting – July 21, 2021
The public review draft of the maps was presented to project area property owners, business owners, and other interested parties at virtual meeting on July 21, 2021 with CDD and the contractor.
- *NEW* Assembly Committee of the Whole 11-6-23 Meeting Minutes
- Assembly Committee of the Whole 9-18-23 Meeting Minutes
- Assembly Regular Meeting September 9-11-23 Meeting Minutes
- Assembly Committee of the Whole 8-28-23 Meeting Minutes
- Assembly Lands Housing and Economic Development Committee 7-17-23 Meeting Minutes
- Assembly Lands Housing and Economic Development Committee 6-26-23 Meeting Minutes
- Planning Commission Regular Meeting 5-23-23 Meeting Minutes
- Planning Commission Title 49 Committee 4-20-23 Meeting Materials and Video Recording
- Planning Commission Committee of the Whole 4-11-23 Meeting Minutes
- Planning Commission Committee of the Whole 3-14-23 Meeting Minutes
- Planning Commission Committee of the Whole 3-14-23 Meeting Materials
- Assembly Committee of the Whole 11-7-22 Video Recording (Hazard Mapping discussion begins at 1:37:25)
- Assembly Committee of the Whole 2-14-22 Meeting Minutes
- Assembly Committee of the Whole 9-20-21 Meeting Minutes
- Planning Commission 8-10-21 Meeting Minutes
- Planning Commission Notice of Recommendation to the Assembly 8-24-21
- Community Development Department Presentation to the Planning Commission 8-10-21
- Contractor Presentation to the Planning Commission 8-10-21
- Planning Commission Hazard Assessment Staff Report 8-10-21
- Public Meeting 7-21-21
- Assembly resolution on the hazard mapping grant 12-18-17
- Maps prepared by CDD that show the difference between the adopted 1987 hazard maps and the 2022 landslide and avalanche maps.
- 1987 Adopted Landslide/Avalanche Maps
- Adopted Landslide/Avalanche Regulations
- Hazard Studies
- Postcard mailings to all property owners within the Project Area were mailed on the following dates:
- April 26, 2023 before the May 23, 2023 Planning Commission public hearing.
- March 31, 2023 before the April 11, 2023 Planning Commission Committee of the Whole meeting.
- March 7, 2023 before the March 14, 2023 Planning Commission Committee of the Whole meeting.
- September 23, 2022, to meet FEMA’s September 30, 2023 grant requirement deadline to notify the public of the final document with technical memos.
- July 22, 2021 before the August 10, 2021 public hearing with the Planning Commission and contractor.
- July 9, 2021, before the July 21, 2021 public meeting with CDD and the contractor.
- Notice has also been provided in the Juneau Empire’s “Your Municipality” section in the two weeks before each Planning Commission meeting, and this special projects website has been updated frequently.
- The Community Development Department does not provide public notice to property owners for Assembly meetings.