CBJ’s current hazard maps, adopted in 1987 for downtown Juneau, are based on maps created in the 1970s. These low-resolution maps combine landslide and avalanche areas into a single map which identifies moderate and severe hazard areas. CDD received a grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to update these maps with current scientific analysis, and to evaluate landslide and avalanche areas separately. Tetra Tech Inc. has been hired as the contractor. CDD will develop detailed draft policies and regulations to accompany the draft hazard maps at a later date under a separate contract. At this time, CDD is proposing only the minimum regulatory changes necessary for adoption of the new maps.
Virtual CBJ Assembly Meeting, September 20, 2021, 6pm
On Monday September 20 at 6 pm, the CBJ Assembly will review the Landslide and Avalanche Assessment at a virtual Committee of the Whole work session. The Assembly will not be taking public testimony. The meeting agenda, packet information, and virtual meeting link is now available at this link: Assembly Calendar – City and Borough of Juneau
The public may send written testimony to Assembly members at any time through the email addresses listed at Assembly Members – City and Borough of Juneau To reach all Assembly Members, Mayor, and City Manager, send an email to BoroughAssembly@juneau.org
The September 20, 2021 meeting is not a public hearing regarding adoption of the assessment. The meeting is a review session. A public hearing date, when public testimony will be allowed, has not been established. CDD will update this website as new information becomes available.
Virtual Planning Commission Meeting August 10, 2021, 7pm
The CBJ Planning Commission held a public regarding adoption of the Downtown Juneau Landslide and Avalanche Assessment, case#AME2021-0008 at a virtual public meeting on August 10, 2021. The Planning Commission’s Notice of Recommendation to the CBJ Assembly is available in the Documents section below, along with the draft minutes and Community Development Department and contractor presentations.
Neighborhood Meeting, Wednesday July 21, 2021, 6-8 PM
The public review draft of the maps was presented to project area property owners, business owners, and other interested parties at virtual meeting with CDD and the contractor on Wednesday July 21, 6-8 pm.
- *NEW* Mapping Methodology Technical Memo 8-09-2021
- *NEW* Landslide Methodology Bathe Creek-Highlands Technical Memo 8-10-2021
- *NEW* Starr Hill Mapping Overview and Methodology 9-16-2021
- *NEW* Starr Hill Mapping Overview and Methodology Supplemental Response 9-17-2021
- Draft 8-10-21 Planning Commission minutes
- Planning Commission Notice of Recommendation to the Assembly
- Community Development Department 8-10-21 presentation to the Planning Commission
- Contractor 8-10-21 presentation to the Planning Commission
- August 10 Planning Commission meeting agenda, zoom link, and hazard assessment staff report
- July 21 Public Meeting Agenda
- Project Area Map
- Draft Hazard Assessment
- Maps prepared by CDD that show the difference between the adopted 1987 hazard maps and the draft landslide and avalanche maps.
- Currently Adopted Landslide/Avalanche Maps
- Currently Adopted Landslide/Avalanche Regulations
- Hazard Studies
Project Timeline and Public Meeting Schedule
Wednesday July 21, 2021, 6-8 pm. Public Meeting with CDD, Tetra Tech Inc, and project area residents and property owners to discuss the draft hazard assessment. Meeting details are posted in the section above.
Tuesday August 10, 2021. Planning Commission review and public hearing of draft hazard assessment with Tetra Tech Inc. A postcard mailing will be sent to residents and business owners in the project area.
Monday September 20, 2021, 6 pm. CBJ Assembly Committee of the Whole review session on the hazard assessment. See details under the “Virtual CBJ Assembly Meeting” heading near the top of this web page.
How to Submit Comments
Comments on the draft assessment may be submitted at any time to Teri Camery, Senior Planner, Project Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org.