Vehicle Impound Information
If your vehicle has been impounded by the Juneau Police Department, you should contact the Evidence/Property Unit by calling (907) 500-0827 between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm Monday through Friday. This is where you can get answers to your questions about vehicles that have been impounded.
You can also review our list of frequently asked questions:
If you are interested in obtaining a vehicle release, you must do the following:
- You must be the registered or legal owner of the vehicle.
- The vehicle must be currently registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
- You will need identification for yourself.
- A vehicle release fee is required. This fee must be paid in the form of cash, credit card, cashier’s check or money order, payable to the City & Borough of Juneau.
Current LIST OF FEES and release instructions
- Towing/Release Fee: $160
- Processing Fee: $25
- Storage Fees: $12/Calendar Day
- 72-Hour Hold: Some vehicles are held for minimum of 72 hours. If the 72 hours end after business hours, on a weekend or a holiday, the vehicle will not be released until the next business day.
- ALL VEHICLES HELD PAST 31 DAYS WILL BE AUCTIONED PURSUANT TO AS.28.10.502. THE REGISTERED OWNER WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL FEES.
- No vehicles will be released without the Juneau Police Department’s release form. Upon payment of fees, your form will be stamped with an expiration date. If you do not pick up your vehicle by the expiration date, additional storage fees will be required. You must pay the additional storage fees at the Juneau Police Department before your vehicle will be released.
- Vehicles will be released during normal business hours: Mon – Fri at 8:00am – 4:30pm (excluding holidays)
- CALL CAPITAL TOWING (723-7660) to arrange for your vehicle pickup after you receive your release form from Juneau Police Department
The Juneau Police Department uses a private towing company to tow and release vehicles. Once you have obtained a vehicle release you will need to call the towing company and make an appointment to pick up your vehicle. Please note that you must have a valid driver’s license or bring a licensed driver with you when you pick up the vehicle.