Zach Gordon Youth Center
The Zach Gordon Youth Center is a free, drop-in facility for youth. All are welcome to come by for food, fun and friends. The center has a wide variety of amenities from table tennis and pool tables, to a rock climbing wall and basketball courts available to youth of all ages.
Welcome to the Youth Center! Here’s what to expect:
- Friendly staff checking you in at the front desk
- A safe and friendly space for youth of all ages
- A free hot meal every day we’re open
- Games, sports equipment, books, art supplies, and special events
- Youth ages 9 and up can be in the center on their own; under 9 can come with an adult
- The Center is open to all youth until 6pm
- After 6pm, the Youth Center is open only to ages 14 and up
The ZGYC offers both indoor and outdoor amenities including:
- A commercial kitchen
- Gender-specific and gender-neutral restrooms with showers
- A workout room for ages 14+
- A quiet Wellness Center
- An indoor climbing wall
- Pool table and ping pong table
- TV and video game systems
- An indoor and outdoor basketball court
- An outdoor garden with fire pit, BBQ, and chickens
We offer a variety of free and fun activities for youth. Past programs have included:
- Cooking activities with the Alaska Department of Health
- Art activities such as painting on canvas, Sharpie art, and scratch boards
- Game nights
- Movie marathons
- Zumba classes
- Rock Climbing Club with challenges and prizes
- Outdoor adventures to local beaches and trails
- Bonfires and s’mores
- Holiday and cultural programs with Haa Tóoch Lichéesh Coalition
- Educational workshops for teens with Planned Parenthood
- Gender Support groups
- Annual events such as Pride and Gratitude Dinner
Are you in need of housing or other resources?
Talk to a Navigator!
Are you in need of housing?
If you are under 18, we can connect you with the Shéiyi X̱aat Hit Emergency Youth Shelter.
If you are ages 18-24, we can assist you through the Rapid Rehousing Program, which provides rental assistance for young adults. Navigators can also assist with other resources such as food, employment, and identification.
To connect with a Navigator, call us at 586-2635 or text 500-4338.
The climbing wall is free for youth 19 and under!
All climbers must have a current waiver on file.
The Youth Center is available to rent for gatherings, birthday parties or other events!
- Facility rentals are dependent on staff availability.
- Reservations are available Saturdays before 3pm or anytime Sundays.
- Call 586-2635 during regular business hours and at least one week in advance.
- Full Facility Rental with Climbing Wall: $125.00/hour+ tax
- Full Facility Rental without Climbing Wall: $100.00/hour+ tax
- Climbing Wall Only *Only available while facility is open $25.00/+ tax
The Zach Gordon Youth Center supports youth of all genders and sexual orientations. We offer these resources specifically for LGBTQ+ youth:
The Alliance: a weekly drop-in afterschool program for LGBTQ+ middle school students at FDMS and DHMS
Gender Support Group: an interactive psychotherapy support group for individuals ages 12-19, who identify as transgender, gender-expansive, genderqueer and non-binary. Registration is required. This group meets in the Wellness Center on the 3rd Thursday of every month from 5-6pm.
Gender Affirming Scholarship Fund: provides funding for youth in need of gender-affirming items
Trans Student Resource Guide for the Juneau School District:
Weaving Our Pride
The “Weaving Our Pride “ Ravenstail Youth Pride Robe is being created together by Native, non-Native, queer, straight, cis-gender, transgender, allies, and all identities youth to sit side by side for one year, to finish the Ravenstail Robe by Celebration 2024. It will be woven on the premises at Zach Gordon Youth Center (ZGYC).
The robe will live at the ZGYC as a permanent wearable art piece, to be worn by only youth, during SHI’s biennial Celebration, graduations, new-names parties, coming out parties, and significant Native and non-Native Pride events. Juneau community youth are encouraged to participate in weaving the robe with the assistance of mentor weavers.
Thank you for your interest in donating!
Please call to ask about our current needs: 907-586-2635
We generally accept:
- Bus tokens
- Gift cards
- Shelf stable single-serve snacks
- Juice boxes
- Hand warmers
- New or gently used warm weather gear
- New hygiene products, socks, and underwear
We sometimes accept:
- New or gently used toys, games, art supplies, or musical instruments
- Children’s books, DVDs, or video games
- Water bottles
- Backpacks and school supplies
- New or gently used clothing or household items
Monday – Thursday 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Friday 11 a.m. – 10 p.m.
Saturday 3 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Connecting youth and engaging community
Wellness, connection and growth