The Amalga Cabin is located in Amalga Meadows Park, a 639-acre reserve rich in history and natural beauty. Accessible trails connect two secluded beaches, the Boy Scout Beach Trail, a public use cabin, and the Eagle Valley Center. Access to the cabin requires an easy 10- to 15-minute walk on a wide, gravel trail leading from the parking lot at the Eagle Valley Center. Summer activities include hiking, kayaking, picnicking, photography, berry picking, wildflower and wildlife viewing. Winter recreation includes skiing, snowshoeing, photography, and wildlife viewing. Peace and quiet abounds all year round.
Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis and may be made up to 90-days in advance. This means at 6 p.m. every day, the next available night (90-days out) can be reserved. Cost is $75/night + tax and payment is due at time of booking. Guests may reserve a maximum of three consecutive nights and a maximum of 3 nights in a 6-month period. Maximum occupancy is 8 guests.
Next Available Rental Date:
Wednesday, August 04, 2021
This 14×16-ft. Icy Straits Lumber cabin sleeps up to eight people with a sleeping loft (accessible by ladder) and a 7’ x 7’ wooden sleeping platform on the first floor. The cabin also has a propane heater, table, benches, broom and dustpan. Propane for the heater is provided. A vault toilet (outhouse) is nearby, as well as a fire pit. The cabin is accessible with a ramp. Water and electricity are not available.
Visitors must bring their own water supply, as well as sleeping bags, sleeping pads, food, cooking stove, cookware, plates, utensils, lanterns or flashlights, toilet paper, garbage bags, first aid items, and fire starter for the fire pit. Firewood is provided, and cutting trees within the park is prohibited. Visitors are required to pack out their trash and clean the cabin before leaving.
Reschedules & Cancellations
Reservations that are cancelled at least one (1) week prior to your stay are fully refundable, minus a $10.00 service charge. Reservations that are cancelled less than one week before your stay are not refundable for any reason.
Reschedules are subject to availability and must be requested at least three (3) business days before the original date of your first night.
You may request a reschedule or cancellation by contacting the CBJ Parks & Recreation Department at (907) 586-5226 or email@example.com.
The average temperature in this area is 55° to 70° F during the spring and summer. High humidity and a high average rainfall make for a wet environment. Winter snow conditions vary from wet and snowy to cold and clear. Average winter temperatures are 20° to 30° with extremes in the single digits. Come prepared for unpredictable changes in weather. Layering is a good way to be prepared for weather variations. Bring clothing and shoes appropriate for the season.
- You must be 21 years of age at the time of stay to rent the cabin.
- Please remember to have a copy of your PERMIT available during your stay. If another party refuses to leave the cabin during your rental period, please call the Juneau Police Department for assistance (586-0600).
- Pets are welcome. Please keep pets on a leash or under expert voice command. All pet waste must be removed and disposed of properly.
- Water is not available; guests must bring their own water supply.
- The cabin is supplied with propane heat, users do not need to bring fuel.
- You are responsible for cleaning the cabin and outhouse before you depart. Please leave it cleaner than you found it!
- It is your responsibility to pack out all garbage and recycling.
- Permittee is responsible for the rental of this cabin. If the permit is transferred to another person, the original permittee remains responsible for any damage or misuse.
- You are in bear country! Do not feed the animals or leave food and/or garbage outside. Please be bear aware and use caution.
- Fires are allowed within designated fire rings only. Firewood is provided; do not cut trees for firewood.
- Glass containers, firearms, and fireworks are prohibited within all CBJ Parks & Recreation areas.
- Smoking is prohibited in all CBJ facilities, including the cabin, per CBJ 36.60.010.
- Misuse of the cabin or violating the rules may result in future rentals being denied. If your group is directed to leave by a CBJ representative or the Juneau Police Department, you will not be refunded for your rental.
- CANCELLATION POLICY: Reservations that are cancelled at least one (1) week prior to your stay are fully refundable, minus a $10.00 service charge. Reservations that are cancelled less than one week before your stay are not refundable for any reason. You may request a cancellation by emailing the CBJ Parks & Recreation Department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- RESCHEDULE POLICY: Reschedules are subject to availability and must be requested at least three (3) business days before the original date of your first night. You may request a change by contacting the CBJ Parks & Recreation Department at (907) 586-5226 or email@example.com.
- Maximum Occupancy: 8 Guests
- Site Access Method: 15-minute hike/walk
- Stay Limit: 3 Nights
- Check-in Time: 2:00 p.m.
- Check-out Time: Noon
- Pets Allowed: Yes
- Fees: $75/night plus tax
- Cabin Dimensions: 14′ x 16′
- Heating Method: Propane (provided)
- Reservation Release Time: 6:00 p.m. daily
This cabin is by reservation only. No public drop-in use available.
Location & Directions
The Amalga Cabin is located in Amalga Meadows Park, off Amalga Harbor Road.
Driving to Trailhead: Drive north on Egan Drive. At mile 24.5, turn left onto Amalga Harbor Road. Take the first right at the Eagle Valley Center sign and follow the road to the end. Limited parking is available; carpooling is encouraged.
Hiking from the Eagle Valley Center Lodge: Cross the bridge over the slough and turn right (north). Continue approximately .3 miles and turn left (west) onto the cabin spur trail.
Optional Access Methods: For a longer hike, park at the Boy Scout Trailhead and .25 miles down the trail take a left onto the new Horse Tram Trail. Hike 1.2 miles along the Horse Tram Trail then turn right on the cabin spur trail. Or boat/kayak approximately .75 miles to the cabin from Amalga Harbor. See the Amalga Park Trail Map for parking locations.