WHO MAY GET A BORROWER’S CARD
Any permanent resident of the state of Alaska who presents an Alaska Driver’s License or other acceptable form of identification showing permanent mailing address is eligible to register as a borrower. A person under 18 years of age may have parent or guardian sign a parental responsibility card in lieu of other identification.
A visitor may be offered a TEMPORARY registration with limited borrowing privileges if the visitor has a valid picture ID and will reside in Juneau for 28 days or longer. This card allows checkout of two items at a time.
Cruise ship personnel with a local work address may register for a Crew card. This card allows checkout of five items at a time.
A borrower’s card issued by any of the Joint Consortium Libraries may be used at any of the other member libraries–Douglas, Valley, Juneau, Alaska State Library, University of Alaska Southeast Egan Library, Anchorage Public Libraries, Valdez Consortium Library, the University of Alaska Anchorage library system, Petersburg Public Library, Kenai Community Library, Kettleson Library in Sitka, and the Matanuska-Susitna library network among others.
Lost or stolen cards should have the barcode cancelled as soon as possible to prevent unauthorized use. This may be done by phone. (907-586-5249).
- The standard checkout period for materials from the general collection is 28 days.
- Shorter checkout periods (7 days) apply to media items, such as videos, DVD’s, and CD’s.
- A 14-day checkout period applies to videogames and Holiday (Christmas/Hanukkah) collection October through December.
- Interlibrary Loan materials show due date on barcoded band attached to the item.
- Most items may be renewed, provided the item has not been reserved by another borrower.
- Videogames may not be renewed.
- No renewal is allowed on Holiday (Christmas/Hanukkah) collection from October through December.
- Interlibrary loan materials may be renewed when permitted by lending library.
- Two renewal is allowed for materials from the general collection. This may be done by phone or through the library catalog web page (PIN required).
- Items on hold for patrons will be held ONE WEEK from date of notification. If not picked up within that time, items will be passed to next patron in hold queue or returned to the shelf.
- When patrons call ahead to request that materials be set aside for pick up, they will be held for 24 HOURS only.