Safe Needle Disposal Recommendations
- Needles injure people, spread germs, and spread diseases
like HIV/AIDS, hepatitis, tetanus, and syphilis
- Throw needles in the garbage, flush them down the toilet, or put them in recycling containers
- Try to cap, bend, or clip the needles
- Learn how to safely dispose of needles and other sharps
- Place all sharps in a puncture-resistant container like the one-quart sharps containers being issued, a one-liter soda bottle, one gallon orange juice container, plastic laundry detergent container, or a coffee can with a sealing lid.
- Clearly label the container as medical waste and seal it tightly prior to disposal.
- Drop-off filled containers at approved collections sites (see list on the left) Make a Difference
- Get on social media “Juneau – Stop Heroin, Start Talking” to find out more and add your support for ongoing efforts
For more detailed instructions about proper safety and handling of sharps, please download the PDF below.
Sharps Collection Locations:
Downtown Fire Station
820 Glacier Ave
Glacier Fire Station
1700 Crest Ave
Mon-Fri 8a – 4:30p
5436 Commercial Drive
Fri-Sat 8a – 4:30p
Commercial drop off
Thursday only by appt
Dispose of Prescription and Over the Counter Medications at:
Juneau Police Department Lobby Dropbox
6255 Alaway Ave.
Monday – Friday 8am to 4:30pm
If you find a needle outside and don’t feel comfortable disposing of it, email firstname.lastname@example.org and CBJ will collect and safely dispose of it.