Many CBJ board meetings canceled; members can meet remotely
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City and Borough of Juneau Assembly passed a resolution on March 16 to temporarily change how it conducts its public meetings. Changes go into effect immediately:
- Non-essential public meetings must be canceled. CBJ committees, boards, and commissions can only hold meetings for essential agenda items, like time sensitive permit decisions, legislation, appropriation matters, continuity of operation matters, and public health matters. Non-essential agenda items must be delayed. The chair of the body has the discretion to determine if a potential agenda item is essential or nonessential, though a majority of the body’s members can override that decision by contacting the board’s clerk within 24 hours of the notice. Meetings of the Airport Board, Docks & Habors Board, Eaglecrest Board, and Hospital Board will follow that same procedure and be decided by each board’s chair. Meetings will be listed on the CBJ meeting calendar and through public notice channels.
- Assembly meetings and boards/committee meetings with substantial public interest will be available through Facebook Live on the City and Borough of Juneau’s Facebook page (@cbjuneau) and an alternative method to be determined and announced at a later time. All meetings of the full Assembly, specifically Regular Meetings, Special Meetings, Finance Committee Meetings, and Joint meetings, will include a COVID-19 update and be live-streamed.
- Up to five Assembly members will be able to participate in the meeting by teleconference. Members physically attending the meeting will be spaced out to accommodate appropriate social distancing.
- Public seating will still be available at the meetings, though seats will be placed six feet apart in the meeting area.
CBJ committees, boards, and commissions meetings that are cancelled until further notice include:
- All CBJ Advisory Boards, Committees, Commissions
- All Planning Commission Subcommittees, Ad Hoc Committees and Neighborhood and Area Plan Committees.
Meetings that are happening in the near future include:
- Thursday, March 19, 2020 – 7pm: Special Assembly Informational Meeting, Chambers
- Monday, March 23, 2020 – 5pm: Assembly Lands Committee, Chambers
- Monday, March 23, 2020 – 6pm: Assembly Committee of the Whole, Chambers
Members of the public are encouraged to submit comments in writing beforehand by emailing BoroughAssembly@juneau.org or by filling out the online Assembly Contact Form. CBJ’s calendar is being updated continuously as meeting cancellations occur.
Visit juneau.org/covid-19 for information, links, and resources to help keep Juneau safe and healthy.