Let’s continue practices that got Juneau to a lower community risk level
With CBJ’s community risk level now at Level 2 Moderate, it’s important to continue practicing many of the same protective measures that helped reduce the number of COVID-19 cases in the community:
- Wear a mask in indoor public spaces – including CBJ facilities that have recently returned to in-person service, like the libraries, Juneau-Douglas City Museum, and Permit Center – as well as in outdoor public spaces where 6 feet of distancing isn’t possible. CDC recommends masks that have two or more layers of washable, breathable fabric; completely cover your nose and mouth; and fit snugly against the sides of your face without gaps. CDC does not recommend using face shields as a substitute for masks. CDC has more information on effective and ineffective face coverings here.
- Limit indoor gatherings to 50 people or less while practicing safety measures, including wearing masks and keeping 6 feet of distance. If it is not possible to maintain 6 feet of social distancing in the indoor setting, reduce the number of people.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Continue to follow local travel guidelines and restrictions. Learn more on CBJ’s COVID-19 Travel webpage.
- If available, consider using curbside or delivery services at your favorite local businesses.
- Keep your social bubbles small. Remember that CDC defines a “close contact” as someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for a cumulative total of 15 minutes or more over a 24-hour period. The more people you’re in close contact with, the higher your risk will be for exposure and transmission.
CBJ’s community risk level was lowered thanks in large part to the carefulness and diligence of Juneau residents. As the COVID-19 vaccine begins to reinforce those efforts in the coming weeks and months, it’s important not to undo all the hard work we’ve put in to keep our neighbors safe.
For more information, email CovidQuestions@juneau.org.