How to prevent frozen water pipes
Colder temperatures mean your water pipes are at risk of freezing. If your water pipes are not properly insulated or maintained, you could be at risk of being without running water during a freeze-up or a pipe bursting and causing flooding and damage to your home or business. To prevent frozen water pipes, the City and Borough of Juneau recommends the following preventative measures:
- Leave a pencil-thin trickle of water running in the sink to keep water circulating
- Ensure crawl space vents are closed
- Ensure pipes are properly insulated
- Ensure heat tapes are plugged in and functioning
- Turn off hose bibs, disconnect any hoses, and ensure they are properly insulated
In the event that you do experience frozen pipes, contact a plumber or contractor. CBJ does not have the ability to thaw frozen water pipes.
The Emergency Water Turn-Off contact is 907-586-0393 Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or 907-586-2165 after hours.