86 new COVID-19 cases reported for Juneau Oct. 9 thru 11
The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services (DHSS) reports 86 new individuals in the Juneau community – 83 residents and three nonresidents – identified with COVID-19 for October 9 thru 11. There are currently three people with COVID-19 hospitalized at Bartlett Regional Hospital.
The Juneau School District reports eight new individuals who’ve tested positive for COVID-19 and were infectious while in school:
- three at Juneau-Douglas High School: Yadaa.at Kalé (no classes quarantined as a result)
- two at Mendenhall River Community School (one class quarantined and most of another class quarantined as a result)
- one at Sitʼ Eeti Shaanáx̱ – Glacier Valley School (most of one class quarantined as a result)
- one at Auke Bay Elementary (some of one class quarantined as a result)
- one at Riverbend Elementary (one class quarantine extended as a result)
Please note: As more elementary students recover from COVID-19, they do not have to quarantine if they are identified as a close contact. This is in line with Public Health guidance and applies to individuals who have had COVID-19 within 90 days. That means, each time an elementary classroom has a reported positive case, not all of the students have to stay home. Additionally, in some classrooms, there is less mixing and it is easier to clearly identify close contacts. COVID-19 cases related to schools are posted on juneauschools.org (click on the green “COVID-19 Cases” block).
Statewide, the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services reports 2,792 new people identified with COVID-19 – 2,752 are residents and 40 are nonresidents – in the past three days. The state also reports four recent death, bringing the total number of resident deaths to 574:
- a male Northwest Arctic Borough resident in his 70s
- a male Anchorage resident in his 50s
- a female Anchorage resident in her 70s
- a female Anchorage resident in her 60s
Alaska has had 119,102 cumulative resident cases of COVID-19 and a total of 5,021 nonresidents.