2021 candidate filing period for Assembly & School Board open July 16-26
City and Borough of Juneau Declaration of Candidacy Forms and Nominating Petitions are available in the Municipal Clerk’s office in City Hall and online on the CBJ Elections webpage.
The filing period for the City and Borough of Juneau Assembly and School Board opens Friday, July 16 at 8 a.m. Voters will elect a Mayor, two Assembly members, and three School Board members at the October 5, 2021 Regular Municipal Election, which will be held as a Vote By Mail election similar to that conducted for the October 2020 Regular Municipal Election. The Candidate filing period closes Monday, July 26 at 4:30 p.m.
Offices to be filled (elected by the voters at-large):
- One (1) Mayor – 3 year term
- One (1) District One Assembly member – 3 year term
- One (1) District Two Assembly member – 3 year term
- Three (3) Board of Education (School Board) seats – 3 year terms each
Candidates for office must be qualified voters of the City and Borough of Juneau:
- Qualified to vote in State elections;
- A resident of the municipality for at least thirty days immediately preceding the election;
- Registered to vote in state elections at a residence address within the municipality at least thirty days before the municipal election at which the person seeks to vote; and
- Not disqualified under Article V of the Alaska Constitution.
In addition, candidates for Assembly must be a resident of CBJ for at least one year immediately preceding election to office. Also, candidates for Assembly District 1 and District 2 seats must reside in the district from which elected or appointed at the time of the Assembly member’s election or appointment.
Declaration of Candidacy and Nominating forms must be submitted in their original paper form (with original signatures and notarized). The Alaska Public Offices Commission also requires candidates to file their Public Official Financial Disclosure Statement electronically on its website, print and sign that form and submit it along with the Declaration of Candidacy and Nominating petition to the Clerk’s office during the filing period. The Clerk’s office cannot certify a candidate’s nominating petition without these three original paper documents being filed in the Clerk’s office by the close of the filing period on Monday, July 26 at 4:30 p.m.
For more information, contact the Clerk’s Office at 586-5278 or firstname.lastname@example.org.