Need to request a building inspection? The process has changed. Here’s what to do.
Starting this month, building inspections through the City and Borough of Juneau must be requested no later than 12 p.m. on the business day before the requested date of inspection. That means, if you would like to schedule an inspection for Monday, you will need to make your request no later than noon on Friday. If you would like to schedule an inspection for the day following a holiday, you will need to make your request no later than 12 p.m. noon on the last business day prior to the holiday.
Morning foundation inspections hours will now be available as early as 8 a.m. and will continue throughout the day. All other inspections will remain scheduled between 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Why the change?
Changing CDD’s inspection request procedure allows adequate time to contact customers when inspection times need to be adjusted, often due to multiple requests for the same time slot, and to better accommodate complementary site visits. This change also allows inspectors time to research larger projects before arriving onsite, to provide better service and avoid rescheduling.
Things to know
- Request an inspection through the Inspection Hotline at 586-1703 or through the CDD website on the Inspection Request Page.
- Inspections may be requested as far in advance as you desire.
- If you request an inspection, and for some reason are unable to complete the work in time, you may cancel the inspection at no cost by calling the front office at 586-0770. Please allow as much time as possible when canceling an inspection.
- If you need an inspection, and did not request it before 12 p.m. noon, it will be added to the inspection list for the following day.
- CDD offers same day inspections, depending on inspector availability, for a fee of $54. To schedule a same-day inspection, please call the Permit Center at 586-0770.
- CDD also offers weekend inspections, depending on inspector availability, for a minimum fee of $108. If the inspection exceeds 2 hours, each additional hour is $54.
For more information, call CDD’s Building Permits Division at 586-0770.