Juneau’s community risk level lowers to Level 1b tomorrow, easing COVID-19 restrictions
With more than 50 percent of Juneau fully vaccinated, the overall community risk level is lowering to Level 1b – Minimal tomorrow, May 12. That means COVID-19 restrictions on masking, indoor gatherings, personal services, and gyms are relaxing. The following mitigation strategies are effective 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, May 12:
- Masks/Social Distance: Masks must be worn in indoor public areas when unvaccinated individuals may be present (except in State of Alaska operated facilities and office buildings, per the state’s May 6 Return to the Worksite Policy and Guidelines). Masks must be worn outdoors in crowded events; unvaccinated must also wear outdoors if closer than 6 ft. to others.
- Large Gatherings: Indoor gatherings are no longer limited to 100 people. If all individuals are vaccinated, there are no requirements for gathering size, masks, or social distance. If individuals are a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated, masks are still required and gathering size must be limited to maintain 6-ft social distance. Outdoor gatherings are still recommended over indoor gatherings.
- Restaurants and Bars: Maintain 6 feet distance between parties/tables and wear a mask unless actively eating or drinking.
- Personal Services and Gyms: If all individuals at the facility are vaccinated, there are no longer requirements for capacity, masks, or social distance. If individuals are a mix of vaccinated and unvaccinated, masks are still required and, where possible, capacity must be limited to maintain 6-ft social distance.
- Travel: Follow State of Alaska Health Advisories. Unvaccinated travelers are recommended (but not required) to either take a pre-travel test or a free COVID-19 airport test, avoid indoor public areas and crowded locations until you get your test result, and return to the airport for a follow-up test in 5-14 days.
Currently, 59.2 percent of the total population of Juneau has received at least one dose of vaccine and 55.3 percent has completed the vaccine series. If daily case count levels stay at the minimal level, the overall community risk level would move to Level 1c when more than 70 percent of Juneau is fully vaccinated. At that point, masks are only required in indoor settings when children who are not yet age-eligible for a vaccine are present.
For more information, email COVIDquestions@juneau.org.