Workers in health care settings up next for COVID-19 vaccine; sign-up begins Dec. 30
Vaccine supply is currently limited and the State of Alaska is using a phased approach to make the COVID-19 vaccine available. The state, including Juneau, is currently in Phase 1a Tier 2, and is preparing to move to Phase 1a Tier 3 starting January 4. Individuals in this tier can sign up for a vaccine at covidvax.alaska.gov starting December 30. Initially, for Tier 3, Juneau will have at least 400 Moderna COVID-19 vaccine doses (haven’t yet arrived) and about 190 Pfizer vaccine doses (from Juneau’s first batch of vaccine).
The State Vaccine Allocation Committee recently released eligibility for Tier 3 here (scroll down to Tier 3). Eligibility includes:
- Workers in health care settings at highest risk of contracting COVID-19 who are essential to the health care infrastructure and who regularly provide health care services that cannot be postponed or provided remotely. To be a qualifying worker in a health care setting, you must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have direct patient contact, or have direct contact with infectious materials from patients; and,
- Provide essential services in a health care setting that cannot be offered remotely or performed via telework; and,
- Provide a service in a health care setting that cannot be postponed without detrimental impact to the patient’s short-term or long-term health outcomes.
- This Tier applies to licensed, certified, and other workers in health care settings in the State of Alaska, who meet the above criteria. This includes direct support professionals who provide personal care or home and community-based services, laboratory technicians, phlebotomists, and workers performing COVID-19 testing.
Anyone who meets all three of the above criteria points is eligible for a vaccine in Tier 3. Individuals who fall within Tier 3 can schedule a vaccination appointment starting December 30 at covidvax.alaska.gov. Vaccinations at identified Tier 3 vaccination clinics will begin January 4. Additional clinic appointments will be added as additional vaccine is available.
Resources for COVID-19 vaccine information:
- Go to covidvax.alaska.gov for vaccine information, including how many vaccine doses have been administered around the state. Learn about who’s getting the vaccine and when on the state’s Vaccine Availability webpage.
- General public questions about vaccine planning, distribution, or availability status may be directed to email@example.com or 1-907-646-3322. The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services call center does not answer individual health-related questions.
- Learn about the COVID-19 vaccine, including eligibility and distribution, during a COVID-19 vaccine informational webinar every Thursday at 2 p.m. Register for the COVID-19 Vaccine Echo here.