March 14 public hearing on ordinance to allow for subport cruise ship dock
The Juneau public will have another opportunity to provide public comment on an ordinance amending the Long Range Waterfront Plan to allow for the creation of a cruise ship dock facility at the subport in Downtown Juneau. The City and Borough of Juneau Assembly introduced the ordinance February 7 and it will be up for public hearing during the March 14 Regular Assembly Meeting.
While this ordinance allows for a cruise ship dock, it does not guarantee that one will be permitted or will be allowed to be constructed. Rather, the ordinance allows for a dock proposal to go through a complete public process and is the first of several permitting decisions the Juneau Assembly and Planning Commission must make regarding Norwegian Cruise Lines’ proposed development at the subport.
How to comment during the public hearing
The March 14 Regular Assembly Meeting will take place in person in City Hall Assembly Chambers. The public can attend the meeting in person, or join remotely through Zoom https://juneau.zoom.us/j/91515424903 or by calling: 1-253-215-8782 with Webinar ID: 915 1542 4903. The meeting will also be livestreamed on CBJ’s YouTube channel.
To provide spoken comments, the public can:
- Testify in person by attending the meeting. A sign-up sheet will be available.
- Testify remotely via Zoom online or phone. To do this, you are required to call the Municipal Clerk’s Office at 907-586-5278 and give advanced notification by 4 p.m. March 14.
The public is also welcome to email comments in advance of the meeting to BoroughAssembly@juneau.org. The Assembly has been provided with all public comments received to date.
Learn more about the ordinance
- Read the ordinance and associated documents here.
- CBJ held a public meeting on the Long Range Waterfront Plan amendment on January 11. Review the presentation slides here.
- Read the current Long Range Waterfront Plan developed in 2004.
- The amendment is based on a recommendation of the Visitor Industry Task Force. Go to the VITF website and read the final report.
- More details can be found at juneau.org/tourism.
For more information, contact CBJ Tourism Manager Alexandra Pierce at Alexandra.Pierce@juneau.org or 907-500-8677.