Juneau’s community risk level lowers to Moderate
Due to sustained improvements in hospital and public health capacity, other risk indicators being at the low or moderate level, and Juneau’s high vaccination rate, the City and Borough of Juneau Emergency Operations Center (EOC) is reducing the overall community risk to Level 2 Moderate. At Moderate, the mask requirement changes, but all other COVID-19 Community Mitigation Strategies remain the same as modified Level 3 High. Juneau has been at the modified Level 3 since November 15.
This community mitigation measure on masking is effective immediately:
- Masks are required in indoor, public locations for not fully vaccinated individuals and are highly recommended for fully vaccinated individuals. Individual businesses/facilities may continue to require masking regardless of vaccination status. Please note: CBJ facilities will continue to require masking regardless of vaccination status. And per federal rule, masking remains required in airports, on planes, and buses for everyone 2 years and older regardless of vaccination status. Masking continues to be an effective layer of protection at mitigating the spread of COVID-19.
All other mitigation measures remain the same:
- Indoor gathering limit is 50 with masks required. There is no size limit or masking if all individuals at the gathering are fully vaccinated, though masking is recommended. Previously submitted exemption requests remain approved. New exemption requests can be submitted through CovidQuestions@juneau.org.
- Restaurants are recommended to ensure distancing between parties. If not fully vaccinated, patrons must wear masks when not actively eating or drinking.
- Bars cannot exceed 50 percent capacity. If not fully vaccinated, patrons must wear masks when not actively eating or drinking
- Personal services are by appointment only; waiting areas at 50 percent capacity.
- Gyms are still limited to 50 percent capacity. Indoor classes are limited to fully vaccinated individuals only.
Read CBJ’s COVID-19 Risk Metrics and Mitigation Strategies here for more details.
The EOC believes the main risk of increased COVID-19 transmission in the short term will be related to travel and indoor family gatherings. If you are traveling, please utilize free COVID-19 testing provided by Capstone Clinic at the Juneau International Airport. If you are welcoming travelers from out of town for the holidays, please encourage them to also utilize free COVID-19 testing provided at the Juneau International Airport as well as self-tests before they’re introduced to your family bubble.
In accordance with CDC guidance, EOC urges residents ages 16 and up to get a booster. Go to juneau.org/vaccine to find availability. Data supports the efficacy of boosters against Delta and preliminary data supports the efficacy of boosters against Omicron.