Free school meal service expands for weekends & other district updates
In its first three weeks of operation, the Juneau School District food service served over 16,000 meals. Now, the service that’s been providing free pre-packaged breakfast and lunch on the weekdays will be offered for the weekends as well. On Fridays, students will be able to pick up “grab and go” meals for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The food distribution sites are:
- Sayéik: Gastineau 9 – 11 a.m.
- Cedar Park 11 a.m. – noon
- Glacier Valley Elementary 9 a.m. – noon
- Harborview Elementary School 9 a.m. – noon
- Riverbend Elementary 9 a.m. – noon
- Dzantik’i Heeni Middle School 9 a.m. – noon
- Floyd Dryden Middle School 9 a.m. – noon
Funding for meals is based on the number of students who qualify for Free and Reduced Price meals. If your financial situation has changed during this pandemic and you might now qualify for benefits, please apply online at https://www.schoolcafe.com/
In other school district news:
- JSD will be emailing a survey on Friday, April 10 to families. Completing the survey will help the district continue to meet student needs and shape decisions on support structures as operations move ahead.
- For updates on grading and other instructional expectations, refer to this document.
- In the coming weeks, the district will begin working on plans for transitional activities that may not be able to be executed as they typically would. These activities include events like end-of-year celebrations, graduations, kindergarten registration, etc.
JSD thanks parents, caretakers, and families for supporting children and students during this challenging time. For more district information, go to https://www.juneauschools.org/.
For local news, information, and resources to help keep Juneau safe and healthy, go to juneau.org/covid-19.