CBJ receives shipment of 26,000 self-tests & they’re ready for pick-up
The City and Borough of Juneau received a shipment of 26,000 COVID-19 self-tests Wednesday evening and they’re ready for pick-up at several distribution spots around town. Thousands of tests will also go to local organizations. CBJ placed the order earlier this month when supply was getting low. These rapid antigen tests can be self-administered at home or anywhere, are easy to use, and return results in 10-15 minutes. Here’s the list of free self-test distribution sites:
- City Hall Cash Office
- All Juneau Public Libraries (Downtown, Mendenhall Valley, and Douglas)
- Juneau Public Health Center, 3412 Glacier Highway (across the street from Twin Lakes parking lot)
- Juneau Police Department, 6255 Alaway Avenue
At this time, the public can pick up two test kits per family; each kit contains two tests. The goal of the distribution is for families to have self-tests on reserve for when one might be needed. Do not go into any of these facilities to pick up self-tests if you’re feeling sick, or if you’ve been identified as a close contact and should be quarantining. (If you’re feeling sick, schedule an appointment at CBJ’s drive-thru testing facility online or call 907-586-6000.)
Testing is an important tool to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. Public health experts and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend using a self-test:
- If you’re experiencing new symptoms of COVID-19, like fever, sore throat, runny nose, or loss of taste or smell; or
- At least 5 days after you come into close contact with someone who tested positive; or
- When you’re going to gather with a group of people, especially those who are at risk of severe disease or may not be up to date on their COVID-19 vaccines.
Currently, CBJ is distributing the CareStart COVID-19 Antigen Home Test. Here’s an instructional video on how to use this particular test. The Juneau Public Health Center has more guidance for rapid antigen COVID-19 self-tests here that will be handed out with the tests, or go to CBJ’s webpage.