With high winds and freezing temperatures forecast in the coming days, now is a critical time to take important preventive steps to keep your water pipes from freezing. Water pipes that are not properly insulated or maintained are at risk of freezing and/or bursting—an event that could leave you without running water as well as cause flooding and damage to your home or business.
To prevent frozen water pipes, the City and Borough of Juneau recommends the following preventive measures:
- Leave a pencil-thin trickle of water running in the sink to keep water circulating
- Ensure crawl space vents are closed
- Ensure pipes are properly insulated
- Ensure heat tapes are plugged in and functioning
- Turn off hose bibs, disconnect any hoses, and ensure they are properly insulated
In the event that you do experience frozen pipes, contact a plumber or contractor. CBJ does not have the ability to thaw frozen water pipes.
The Emergency Water Turn-Off contact is (907) 586-0393 Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or (907) 586-2165 after hours.
Visit the NWS Juneau website at weather.gov/ajk to stay on top of the latest weather conditions.