Emergency Shelter:

An emergency shelter is a temporary place to live when a person can no longer live in the place they were. The Glory Hall is our adult emergency shelter.  Victims of domestic violence are sheltered through AWARE, and the City and Borough of Juneau operates an emergency cold weather shelter when the temperature is below freezing.


Transitional Housing:

Transitional housing is temporary housing used while transitioning residents to permanent housing.  AWARE and Saint Vincent de Paul provide transitional housing.  Gastineau Human Services provides transitional housing for those re-entering after incarceration and JAMHI provides transitional housing for those experiencing mental health challenges.  JYS provides transitional housing for youth 19 and younger.

Permanent Supportive Housing:

Long-term affordable housing is combined with supportive services such as mental or physical health treatment, meal preparation, transportation to and from appointments, and other services for those experiencing homelessness.  It targets people with chronic illness, disabilities, mental health issues, or substance use disorders who have experienced long-term homelessness.  Permanent Supportive Housing reduces the societal costs of handling those experiencing homelessness, such as emergency room visits, sleep-off visits, or police calls.  Juneau’s Forget-me-not Manor provides permanent supportive housing for people experiencing alcohol addiction.  To possibly qualify for this housing, individuals should contact a Navigator and ask for a vulnerability assessment.


  • Forget-Me-Not Manor

Permanent Affordable Housing:

Permanent affordable housing are units that are affordable to people whose income is below the median.  Affordable housing can cost up to 30% of an individual’s income.  Some of Juneau’s affordable housing options can be found here.