Search Library Catalog
WHO MAY GET A BORROWER'S CARD
Any permanent resident of the state of Alaska who presents an Alaska Driver's License or other acceptable form of identification showing permanent mailing address is eligible to register as a borrower. A person under 18 years of age may have parent or guardian sign a parental responsibility card in lieu of other identification.
A visitor may be offered a TEMPORARY registration with limited borrowing privileges if the visitor has a valid picture ID and will reside in Juneau for 28 days or longer. This card allows checkout of two items at a time.
Cruise ship personnel with a local work address may register for a Crew card. There is a charge of $20 for this card. This card allows checkout of five items at a time.
A borrower's card issued by any of the Joint Consortium Libraries may be used at any of the other member libraries--Douglas, Valley, Juneau, Alaska State Library, University of Alaska Southeast Egan Library, Anchorage Public Libraries, Valdez Consortium Library, the University of Alaska Anchorage library system, Petersburg Public Library, Kenai Community Library, Kettleson Library in Sitka, and the Matanuska-Susitna library network.
Lost or stolen cards should have the barcode cancelled as soon as possible to prevent unauthorized use. This may be done by phone. (907-586-5249).
There is a $2 charge to replace a lost card.
- The standard checkout period for materials from the general collection is 28 days.
- Shorter checkout periods (7 days) apply to media items, such as videos, DVD's, and CD's.
- A 14-day checkout period applies to videogames and Holiday (Christmas/Hanukkah) collection October through December.
- Interlibrary Loan materials show due date on barcoded band attached to the item.
- Most items may be renewed, provided the item has not been reserved by another borrower.
- Videogames may not be renewed.
- No renewal is allowed on Holiday (Christmas/Hanukkah) collection from October through December.
- Interlibrary loan materials may be renewed when permitted by lending library.
- Two renewal is allowed for materials from the general collection. This may be done by phone or through the library catalog web page (PIN required).
- For subsequent renewals, item must be returned to the library to be checked out to the patron again if it is not on hold for someone else.
- Items on hold for patrons will be held ONE WEEK from date of notification. If not picked up within that time, items will be passed to next patron in hold queue or returned to the shelf.
- When patrons call ahead to request that materials be set aside for pick up, they will be held for 24 HOURS only.
The overdue fine for Juneau Public Library 28-day loan materials is calculated at the rate of 20 cents per item per day and begins the day after the date due. If an overdue 28-day item is returned by the 5th day after date due, related fines are forgiven.
The overdue fine on Juneau Public Library media items is calculated at the rate of $1 per item per day and begins the day after the date due. There is no grace period for media items overdue fines.
For non-Juneau Public Library items, overdue fines and grace periods vary by lending library. Please ask staff for details.